Nowadays, you can find many skincare products promoting peptides as part of their formulas. But what exactly are they and how do they work when added to skincare products? That is the answer you will find here.
What do peptides in skincare do?
Peptides are the smallest molecules of substances and cells you can find into the human body. Such substances include proteins, antibodies, hormones, enzymes, or nerves distributed all around the body. They are formed as chains of amino acids that are bound together to form cells. They are the very basic compound and due to their tiny size, they can penetrate the deepest layers of the skin and cells.
Are there special peptides for skincare?
There are several types of peptides. When we talk about them for skincare we refer to those that are used in skincare products and what their functions are. Overall, peptides work to stimulate the production or transportation of substances through tissues and cells of the body.
Due to their small size, they have the ability to penetrate deeper and faster than other components. For instance, that is what they do with collagen when this substance reduces its production.
Depending on the peptide and the message it has, collagen can increase its production or can be transported to certain areas. In this sense, these are the peptides that mix with skincare products and offer you great benefits.
- Carrier/transporter peptides: they can transport substances that are too heavy, slow or difficult to deliver to specific parts of the body.
- Signaling peptides: these peptides send signals to stimulate a biological response to create more substances by the human body. For instance, to produce more collagen to make the skin firmer. Also, hyaluronic acid that increases hydration or elastin to improve flexibility. .
- Neurotransmitter peptides: these inhibit brain neurotransmitters in order to cause a natural “Botox” effect. As a result, the skin looks wrinkle-free.
- Antimicrobial peptides: they help to kill damaging bacteria which results very useful to treat acne and heal wounds.
Benefits of adding peptides to skincare products
- You can see faster results to improve specific concerns of your skin
- Can Increase the production of collagen and hyaluronic acid
- Your skin can become firmer and toned
- It reduces the visibility of wrinkles and the formation of new fine lines
- It mixes well with many other skincare ingredients
- It is safe to use even in sensitive skins and rarely have secondary effects
Can everybody include peptides in their skincare routine?
Including peptides in skincare products work to improve the impact of other ingredients such as collagen. In this sense, if you want to use peptides, you must pay attention to the ingredients included in the formula.
That is because it is what you will get. On the other hand, peptides are pretty safe to use and rarely cause allergies or any other reaction. However, it is always recommended to consult with a doctor if you use peptide for the first time.
To sum up, peptides are the solution to speed up the results of your skincare routine in a safe way. Most importantly, they help to deliver real effects to make your skin more toned, firmer, and fresher.