One of the main features of the dead sea is the level of salinity to the point that it contains the second highest amount of salt in a water body Hence, it is not strange that many people try to find accurate information about it. On top of that, the salt there is also rich in minerals and nutrients all of which are related to the amount of salt it has.
Dead Sea lake Formation
The Dead Sea is a body of salty water surrounded by the regions of Israel and Jordan, being the Jordan River the main supplier. Although its name says it is a seam it is really a lake. Today, its surface reaches about 600 km, and compared to previous years, it is receding. However, there is still plenty of Dead Sea to enjoy and see. Its origin has multiple theories and perhaps the most outstanding are the following:
- The land where the Dead Sea rises high and the ocean couldn't hold it. Consequently, it became a landlocked area as we know it today.
- The area where the Dead Sea was inundated by waters of the Mediterranean Sea over and over again. It was connected to the Sea through the Jezreel Valley.
The concentration of salt in the Dead Sea
The amount of salt in the Dead Sea currently reaches about 33%. This is to say that it is about 10 times saltier than the oceans. This level of salinity was something that started millions of years ago. That is one of the reasons why it is so salty besides the special events set above about the formation of the lake.
Properties of the salt
Besides being found in big amounts in the Dead Sea, the Dead Sea salt is also rich in nutrients and minerals. Those elements are highly appreciated by people with skin disorders. Moreover, some minerals provide relaxing effects. Every year millions of people visit the Dead Sea to obtain some of its benefits. In addition, commercial provisions of salt are widely available in the market. Some of the most visible effects on skin and health include the following:
- Helps reduce acne, its symptoms, and scars due to the high content of magnesium and other minerals.
- Reduces the symptoms of psoriasis because salt provides high hydration that
relieves itchiness and dryness.
- It is a source of relaxation. By using it in a bath, it is possible to enjoy all the minerals that contribute to getting relaxed.
- It has anti-aging effects due to the high provision of calcium and other minerals. They fight oxidation processes that cause damage to the skin.
In short, the Dead Sea salt is one of the most appreciated elements around the world. Besides all the history that surrounds the geographical location of the Dead Sea, the richness of its components is a unique source for health processes.
Visit now our Dead Sea skincare shop for best Dead Sea cosmetics skin care products and get 10% discount coupon (SAVE10).